Confused Development

I develop software and I often get confused in the process. I usually find the answers after a while, but a month later I can't remember them. So from now on, I will write them down here.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Using configure / installing libical on Mac OS X

I recently tried to build libical (make sure you get the current version from there, and not the obsolete one from here), which I need to develop an iCal plugin for semiBlog. Running configure, I always ran into this error:

[knud@Dunkers-Hole]# ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

[...]

checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one
Ok, so I need to specify a host type. After some searching, it turned out that the correct host to specify for me was powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0 (I still don't have an Intel-Mac...). And - hooray -, by running
./configure powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0
the configure script runs perfectly,

3 Comments:

At 6:31 pm, Blogger Knud Möller said...

On my new MacBook Pro (an Intel machine), the following host type seems to work: i686-apple-darwin8. I got this by asking gcc for it's target machine: gcc -dumpmachine.

 
At 4:01 pm, Blogger David Schlachter said...

What worked great for me was running two commands in the build directory:

cp /usr/share/automake*/config.sub .
cp /usr/share/automake*/config.guess .

Note the space followed by a period at the end of each command.

I got it from a hint at macosxhints.com,
http://tinyurl.com/4ym5en

 
At 7:32 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Knud, gcc -dumpmachine worked like charm. Thanks a million :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home