Confused Development

I develop software and I often get confused in the process. I usually find the answers after a while, but a month later I can't remember them. So from now on, I will write them down here.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Page Source for AJAX Web Pages

Most web browsers have a view page source function that is very handy for debugging web sites or learning from existing ones. However, when using AJAXy stuff, I found out that elements of a web page changed via replace_html (or maybe some other function) actually do not appear in the source. I don't really know why that is the case, but here is a way to get around it:

  • Open the page in Firefox.
  • Firefox has a function called view DOM (or something like that, I'm using the German localization).
  • This will show you the DOM of the page in a nice expandable tree view, including the recently ajaxed nodes.
  • You can select the node you are interested in and choose copy XML.
  • Et voila! There you have the code of the selected node!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home