Confused Development

I develop software and I often get confused in the process. I usually find the answers after a while, but a month later I can't remember them. So from now on, I will write them down here.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Installing Drupal6.4 on Debian4 + Apache2

I had to install Drupal today on one of our servers. I ran into a few minor problems:

  • There were some problems with file permissions in the drupal/sites folder, so I changed owner and group of some files and folders to www-data.
  • Drupal complained that the PHP GD library is not installed: just run apt-get install php5-gd and restart Apache.
  • Drupal couldn't send mails, so I installed postfix (sudo apt-get install postfix), set the server for outgoing mail (here called the "smart server") to our institute's smtp server, and used mailx to test it.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:13 am, Blogger Steph said...

you could also use exim4 which comes with debian by default, and run sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config. It will then ask you a few questions and you will just need to enter the outgoing relay email server.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home